Snowy winters and slippery roads are frequently seen as a problem for hectic routine tasks and are seen as a problem for drivers. Time management according to slow traffic becomes a crucial precaution. However, there are other aspects that are important for avoiding serious consequences including safe driving. Driving in winters on snowy roads entail special maintenance of the car and tips for the driver. These requirements are not very tricky but are essential for safe driving in countries as Canada where roads are usually covered in snow most of the year and climate is a little drastic. The phenomenon of “winterizing your car” is especially universal and vehicle mechanics often make vehicles ready by simply hearing it. There are certain tips for drivers to follow that are provided as under:
- Inspection of antifreeze is necessary. This shields against freezing of engine in extreme cold.
- Charging system of the battery requires to be checked as the battery in winters needs extraordinary ignition for starting the vehicle. This is why the charging system of the battery should be enhanced and checked.
- Quality of engine oil used in snowy season should be good and the oil and oil filter should be regularly checked for proper engine functioning. Similarly, engine should also be verified for belts because some rubber belts are not meant to stand the temperature in winters and therefore, a special belt should be required.
- The lights are significant for snow falling condition as the weather then become foggy even in the day time as well. Clear visuals are necessary in terms of driving whether its winter or night time. Therefore, lights should be properly checked before the season begins.
- Heavy snow falling may require window blades and vipers to stop working which is the reason that proper vipers should be installed that can be used to clear the view in snow fall. Road salt, mist and slush is often the reason that visibility is blocked and accidents are caused. Deicer and Rain-X treatment is used for preventing chiseling of ice in the morning.
- Good traction in snow is required which is why tires of the car are such that snow is shed and improves road grip. Tire pressure is also a significant factor as cold temperatures may alter the pressure as compared to summers.
These all tips are needed for providing a safety trip and along with these a proper safety kit is also necessary. This kit should include flash lights, cables, ropes, HELP sign and first aid kit. This can help in case of emergencies. A little care and long term safety is achieved.